ProjectVF: Extending the Main Frame
There was a 19" gap in need of some bridging. I used
rectangular tubing, MIG welded, and suitably triangulated and reinforced.
I'll accept a little weight penalty in the form of overdesign because I'd
hate to have the frame come apart beneath me.
This is the frame mockup I originally made from 1x2
poplar scraps and some hot glue. It was pretty crude but helped give me
ideas of what I really wanted.
Here's how the extension turned out. I used 1" x
1-1/2" mild steel tubing for the main rails, 1" x 1" square tubing for the
braces, and 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" angles for the seat supports. Everything was
checked for level, plumb, and parallelism, then tack-welded into place. It
might not be as pretty as the Honda-designed frame, but it's strong as hell
and ought to work fine.
The original frame has a detachable section for
engine removal. so I created this little connection for the extension. The
holes thru the tubes were sleeved and welded, and the bolts and nuts are grade-8.
It took some time to make, but was well worth the effort.